September 18, 2016
Sermon Notes for September 18, 2016
+Today’s Sermon: “Following Jesus – Fasten On The Belt of Truth”
+ Introduction / Question: “How am I to follow Jesus fastening on the belt of truth?”
“For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.” (2 Corinthians 10:4 – 6)
+ Sermon points:
- Ask yourself: “Do I surrender to the lies of Satan (strongholds)?”
“Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word.
You are of tour father the devil and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me.”
(John 8:43 – 45 and Genesis 2:15 -17; 3:1 - 13)
- Ask yourself: “Am I willing to take every thought captive to obey Christ?”
“So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, ‘If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’” (John 8:31 and Psalm 25:4 - 5)
- Ask yourself: “Am I willing to fasten on God’s truth in complete obedience to Jesus so my family, friends and others also turn to Him and stand firm in the truth with Him as their Lord and Savior?”
“If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? Whoever is of God hears the words of God.”
(John 8:46 - 47 and Ephesians 6:14)
“How am I to follow Jesus fastening on the belt of truth?”
(Sermon Notes prepared by Pastor Warren A. Reichert for Grace Lutheran Church, Eaton, Ohio, September 18, 2016)
How to pray? A plan to help you “follow”* God in prayer:
Set a time and place for your prayer time with God (Start slowly and add times until you pray each day.)
Read the Gospel or another Scripture Lesson from today’s worship (see the Sermon Notes to direct your prayer time). Begin your prayer time asking yourself:
- What is one main thought, key insight or truth I gained from this passage?
- What does this thought, insight or truth say about Jesus?
- Ask God to help you apply His Word to your life, to fasten on the belt of God’s truth against the lies (strongholds) of the devil in your life (Try praying: “Lord, I ask …” or “Lord, help me to…”).
Try writing your responses to the questions in a spiral notebook or composition notebook. Be gentle with yourself. Take your time with this new effort. Let the Word of God guide you following Christ. Look back over your first week, month, and so on, and see how the Lord is calling you to follow Him through His Word and with prayer.
(*Mark 1:17: ESV - “And Jesus said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men.")